Customize the default theme footer
By default, the Beaver Builder theme footer shows a single centered column with the following information.
1 - Copyright symbol and date
2 - Site title, pulled from Customize > Settings > Site Identify > Site Title. In this example, the Site Title is "My Biz Ltd."
3 - Pipe symbol
4 - "Powered by Beaver Builder" text with a link
There are two ways to change this default footer: through the Customize area of the Beaver Builder Theme, or by adding copyright.php to your child theme and modifying it.
There are several advantages of using Customize > Footer > Footer Layout to modify the default footer text:
- You can eliminate the footer entirely, or you can add more than one column to the footer.
- You can easily add a menu or social icons.
- It's very easy and fast. At Customize > Footer > Footer Layout, change Layout to None to remove the footer entirely, or add your own text in Column 1 Text box, or add two columns, which will overwrite the default footer.
There's one big advantage to keeping the default format and modifying copyright.php:
- The copyright year automatically updates with each new year.
Of course, there are other alternatives--you can rewrite the copyright.php file, for example, or you can use a plugin to replace the date with a variable that will reflect the current year.
The following procedure shows how to make a minor change to the "Powered by" statement in copyright.php.
Note: You must be using a child theme, or your file will be overwritten with every Beaver Builder Theme update.
To change the "Powered by" statement in the default Beaver Builder theme footer:
- Using FTP, navigate to <your-site>/wp-content/themes/bb-theme-child.
- Create a subfolder named includes.
- Navigate to Beaver Builder parent theme at <your-site>/wp-content/themes/bb-theme/includes and copy the copyright.php file, then paste it into the child theme's subfolder you created in the previous step.
- In the child theme includes folder, open copyright.php for editing.
- Locate the fourth line which starts with:
- Starting with the text "Powered by," replace or remove the
Powered bytext, the
<a href>link, and the link text.
In this example, the link was removed and the text changed to the following:
<span id="fl-site-credits">Website design by Example Designs Ltd.</a></span>
- Save your edits and if necessary copy copyright.php back to the child theme location.
The new information should now be displayed in your footer: