Edit or delete layout templates
You can edit or delete your custom layout templates through the Builder admin panel ( Version 1.10 and later) or the Templates admin panel (Version 1.9 and earlier).
Tip: When you edit a template, previous versions are saved, so you can restore a previous version if you need to – see the Related Article below.
There are two locations where you can edit or delete custom layout templates: the Builder menu in the WordPress admin panel or directly from a page you're editing in Page Builder.
Note: Editing or deleting a template has no effect on any pages using that template.
Edit or delete a custom layout template through the Builder menu
The Builder menu in the WordPress admin panel can be thought of as "template central." You can create, edit, delete, or restore layout templates, saved rows and modules, and Themer layouts from this central location.
To edit or delete a custom layout template from the Builder menu:
- In the WordPress admin panel, click Builder > Templates.
In Version 1.9 or earlier, click Templates.
If you don't see Builder or Templates in the admin panel, see the Related Article on enabling the Builder admin panel or Templates admin panel.
- Mouse over the template that you want to edit or delete, then click Trash to move the template to the trash, or click Page Builder to open the page for editing.
If you moved the template to the trash, you're done at this point.
- If you're editing the template, make any changes in Page Builder, then click Done and publish, save as draft, or discard in the normal fashion.
Note: Deleted templates remain available in the Trash until you permanently delete them.
Edit or delete a custom layout template within Page Builder
You can edit or delete layout templates within Page Builder while you have any page open for editing.
Tip: The page itself does not have to be using the template to edit or delete the template.
To edit or delete a custom layout from within a Page Builder editing page:
- From a page open for editing in Page Builder, do one of the following:
- Page Builder 2.x: In the Content panel, click Templates, then select the Saved templates group.
- Page Builder 1.x: Click the Templates button in the upper right corner.
- Page Builder 2.x: Mouse over the template you want to edit or delete until the Wrench and Trash icons appear.
Page Builder 1.x: You'll see the list of layout templates with Edit and Delete links.
- To delete the item:
Page Builder 2.x: Click the Trash icon to move the template to the trash.
Page Builder 1.x: Click the Delete link to move the template to the trash, then click Cancel to close the Templates window.
You're done at this point.
- To edit the item:
Page Builder 2.x: Click the Wrench icon.
Page Builder 1.x: Click the Edit link.
The layout template opens in Page Builder in a new tab. Note the URL changes to mydomain.com/fl-builder-template/.... to show you are editing a template.
- Make any editing changes, you want, then click Done > Publish.
The tab for the layout template closes and you can go back to the page you were editing.
Remember, the edited template does not update any existing templates, so if you want to update the page you're editing, you'll need to follow the normal procedure to use the edited template to append to or replace the existing layout.